Is it too much to ask for a little understanding or at least straight answers?? we spent from 10 am – 2 pm at L&D today awaiting answers. The first few lab results to come in were great, better than they’d been. We were hopeful. Then of course they start asking how I’m doing, like they should have waited to ask, so I of course am honest and say, ok, headaches, seeing spots, still nauseas, threw up 2 times after leaving the hospital yesterday, but not feeling contractions anymore. So of course this baffles them. We had to wait a while for the one lab result thats been off all week, so while we waited for that they were consulting with the neurologist on call and considering giving me a spinal tap.
Ok, if you werent around for it my last spinal tap a few months ago was hell, and at that time I knew I needed one cause I felt crappy. So Dean had gone off to get some lunch for us while I’m battling the dr almost in tears about not wanting a spinal tap and told her that I dont feel that bad. I admit I will tell you if I feel so bad I think I need a spinal tap, heck when I had meningitis I would have begged for one if they hadnt given me one and also a few months back too. I know when it’s bad enough to need one, this was not one of those times. Sure I feel crappy but the headaches are being controlled and they dont want to stop the nausea and vomitting because if they try to cover it up then they wont know if it’s getting worse and they want to know if it’s going to keep up. So….a little later they decide that this is more than likely not pre-eclampsia, dah I could have told you that! My final lab results came in with the same levels as yesterday, so not great but not worse. If they had been higher we’d been whisked off to the OR, and I was somewhat dissappointed at that point because I wanted answers.
so there is still no telling what is wrong with me. I did my best to get my fears across to the dr and she did her best to find answers and she said I need to see my neurologist before the c/s. Another great reason to not have done a spinal today just if you needed a reason, but if I had it done then I might not be able to get an epidural for my c/s and then that would mean they’d have to put me to sleep for it and no way do I want to be out for the birth of my son! So when she said that I was for sure not going to let it happen. Luckily she was persauded finally that this probably wasnt as life threatening as they thought and are going to let me wait it out some more. I hate the waiting, especially when I feel so sick. Right now I’m awake since I cant sleep due to severe nausea again. But if it gives baby b a few more days to grow and develop and gives Dean’s parents time to get here then I guess that’s what we’ll do.
I’m also going to whine a little about this whole bedrest thing. All week long I did my best to induce labor naturally, walking and other fun stuff and it was working, I was contracting regularly and got to 2 cm dilated, then of course they put me on bedrest. I thought after todays ordeal they’d say just resume normal activity, apparently they dont want me to really labor and didnt even do an internal today and said more bedrest. cant really induce labor laying in bed, so unless a huge miracle happens and I somehow start laboring even while doing nothing but sitting on my butt all day then the baby wont be here before the c-section. I have a feeling had I not been put on bedrest and taking it easy these last two days I’d still be contracting. because the more moving around I do the worse I feel. it was nice to think on Thursday that I could try a vbac now they’ve taken that away from me unless of course God decides to intervene and get things moving again. Are you listening! ??
I’m not trying to be selfish, but I want this to be over. Not knowing why you’re body is reacting so badly to pregnancy is not fun. Not knowing why you cant see straight and cant stop feeling so sick is not how I want to spend my last few days of pregnancy. I want to going for walks with my son. I want to be out getting our last family photos done as a family of three. I want to go on a freakin date with myhusband tomorrow like we had planned but instead those darn doctors put me on bedrest. Sure I’ve never really listened to them before but after asking specifically today what she meant by modified bedrest I cringed, I’ve so not been following orders, like I said more than likely why I was starting to labor on Thursday. I had spent all day Thursday out and about doing stuff and all week I took at least one walk a day. That is not at all close to what I was told to do. And I guess it’s my own fault maybe why we spent two days in L&D but what I wanted more than anything was a chance to have a normal pregnancy, to be able to naturally go into labor and be given the chance to try to deliver the son God gave me. I mean does He really think a c/s is good for me, wouldnt it be better for me to labor and not have to endure a major surgery. I dont understand. I dont understand why pregnancy for me has to be so hard. Dean keeps telling people it’s only a couple of more days but I’m so done I am so ready for this fight to be over with my body. I love this child more than I can ever describe and I want what is best for him and I am willing to suffer for him, heck I told Dean if not getting a spinal tap means putting myself at risk to go blind (and if my pressure is up that’s what could happen on the severe end of things) then I’d do it because I’d rather me suffer than the baby. I dont care what happens to me and my body as long as the Baby comes out healthy and happy. But in the same respect I dont want to have to deal with this now. It’s hard enough being pregnant and miserable and add to that the unknown of what is going on with my body and it’s just too much to handle. So I guess this is enough complaining, the bottom line is the drs dont know what is wrong, just that we’ve decided this happens to me when I get to the end of pregnancy and they dont know what it is or why and that’s it. We’ll try our hand w/ the neurologist on Monday I guess but even then Dean said it’s silly since it’s only a few more days til the baby comes. My fear of course is future pregnancies. If this happens to me at the end of every pregnancy and seems to be different with each one then there is something happening. It may not be textbook but it’s something, is it really asking too much for the dumb doctors to try to figure out what is wrong with my body and pregnancy? I guess it’s too big a request today.
For now I guess we just wait and pray things get better or that labor starts naturally asap. I am going to do my best to follow doctors orders but it’ s hard when you dont understand their reasoning behind it. So I probably wont update again til Monday after my next appt unless labor starts up again. Thanks for hanging in there with us!